Personal Data Protection Notice (English)
This Personal Data Protection Notice (“Notice”) describes how Kim Hin Joo (Malaysia) Bhd and its related companies and subsidiaries (who own and operate the brands ‘Mothercare’, ‘ELC’ and ‘Gingersnaps’) (the “Company”) uses your Personal Data. mothercare.com.my (the “Website”) is a website operated by the Company.
In the event of any conflict between the English and other language versions, the English version shall prevail. The Company shall have the right to modify, update or amend the terms of this Notice at any time by placing the updated Notice to the Website or notifying you by other means such as by email. By continuing to communicate with the Company, by continuing to use the Company’s services and/or Website following the modifications, updates or amendments to this Notice, such actions shall signify your acceptance of such modifications, updates or amendments.
“Personal Data” means information about you, from which you are identifiable, including but not limited to your name (including your first name, last name and preferred name), gender, date of birth, marital status, correspondence address (including email and postal address), telephone number, mobile phone number, identity card number, passport number, religion, race, contact and billing information and transaction and credit card information. Personal Data may also include information which you disclose to the Company on behalf of or relating to your family members, such as but not limited to your child’s name, gender and date of birth or due date.
In addition to the Personal Data you provide to the Company directly, such as when you sign up for membership of our customer loyalty and VIP programmes, the Company may collect your Personal Data from a variety of sources such as when you place an order for products, when you register with us to receive our monthly newsletters or e-newsletters or details of offers or products, during member registration/recruitment or any other marketing/promotional campaigns and/or from the cookies used on the Website. If you do not wish for your Personal Data to be collected via cookies on the Website, you may deactivate cookies by adjusting your internet browser settings to disable, block or deactivate cookies, by deleting your browsing history and clearing the cache from your internet browser.
Provision of your Personal Data such as your name, identification number and e-mail address to the Company is voluntary. However without your Personal Data the Company may not being able to provide its full range of products and services to you including but not limited to creating your membership account or to verify your purchases and claims for rewards or awards.
Purposes of use
You hereby acknowledge and agree that the Company may use and process your Personal Data for the purposes relating to the business and activities of the Company which shall include, without limitation the following (“the Purposes”):-
- To perform any contract which we may have entered into with you for the provision of any goods or services;
- To administer, manage and verify your membership of our customer loyalty and VIP programme where applicable;
- To understand and analyse our sales, your needs and preferences;
- To develop, enhance, market, provide and deliver products and services to meet your needs;
- To enable you to participate in promotions and contests;
- To process exchanges or product returns;
- To analyse the use of the Website;
- To follow up with you, either by e-mail, phone or mail, when you have purchased goods from us, including through the Website, as part of our customer care procedures;
- To improve our products and services;
- To respond to requests or complaints;
- For internal record keeping and internal and external investigations and legal proceedings;
- In the event of any corporate restructuring of the Company including any mergers, acquisitions, takeovers etc;
- For regulatory approvals and compliance;
- For compliance with laws within and outside Malaysia and any amendments in force; and
- For such other purposes as may be required or permitted by laws within and outside Malaysia, including laws relating to evidence.
Marketing and Promotional Purposes
The Company may also use and process your data for other purposes such as (“Additional Purposes”):-
- To direct marketing materials to you
- To send you updates on products, news and event updates, rewards and promotions, offers (including birthday offers), invitations, special privileges and initiatives of the Company, our partners and advertisers;
- To send promotional e-mail about new products, special offers and services or other information for the Website, Global Product Solutions, any other companies within the same group of companies and selected third party companies which we think you may find interesting;To send you information or content which we consider may be of interest to you;
- To contact you for market research purposes;
by way of short message service (SMS) and/or by email.
If you do not consent to the Company processing your Personal Data for the Additional Purposes please contact the Company using the details provided below.
Transfer of Personal Data
Your Personal Data may be transferred to, stored, accessed, used and processed in a jurisdiction other than Malaysia for the Purposes and Additional Purposes, including to Kim Hin International Pte Ltd, Kim Hin Joo (Malaysia) Bhd’s holding company located in Singapore, or where the Company’s servers or centralized databases are located outside of Malaysia. You understand and consent to the transfer of your Personal Data out of Malaysia as described herein.
Use by and disclosure to third parties
Your personal data may be transferred, accessed or disclosed to third parties for the Purposes and the Additional Purposes. Further, the Company may engage other companies, service providers or individuals to perform functions on its behalf, and consequently may provide access of or disclose your Personal Data to such service providers or third parties. The third parties referred to in this Section include (without limitation):-
- third parties to whom the Company outsources certain of its internal functions, such as its information technology vendors and other service providers;
- the Company’s professional advisors such as legal advisors, insurers and auditors;
- the Company’s subsidiaries and related entities including but not limited to Kim Hin International Pte Ltd, Global Retail Network Sdn Bhd, Global Product Solutions Sdn Bhd, Eldercare Solutions Sdn Bhd,; and
- to regulatory and legislative bodies to comply with laws within and outside Malaysia.
Access and Correction
You may, by giving written notice, request to access and/or correct your Personal Data by contacting the Company at the contact information set forth below. The Company has the right to refuse an access or correction request for the reasons provided under law. The Company also reserves the right to impose a fee for access of your Personal Data in the amounts as permitted under law.
In the event, you wish to limit the processing of your Personal Data for the Purposes or Additional Purposes, to access or correct your data pursuant to Section 10, or if you have any inquiries or complaints in respect of the processing of your Personal Data, please contact:
- Designation : Customer Service Officer
- Email Address : email@example.com
- Telephone Number : 603 8940 6638
- Fax Number : 603 8940 6637
However please note that where you choose to limit the processing of your Personal Data, this may affect the Company’s ability to provide you with the goods or services which you request.
Links to Third-Party Websites
Personal Information from Minors and Other Individuals
In respect of provision of personal data of children/minors (persons under the age of 18), as a parent or legal guardian of a minor, you hereby consent to the processing of the minor’s Personal Data and personally accept and agree to be bound by this Notice and take responsibility for the minor’s actions.
In some circumstances you may have provided personal data relating to other individuals (such as your spouse, next of kin, family members or friends) for the Purpose and in such circumstances you represent and warrant that you are authorised to provide their personal data to the Company and you have obtained their consent for their personal data be processed and used in the manner as set forth in this Notice.
Acknowledgement and Consent
By providing your personal data to the Company and/or by your continued usage of the Website, the Company’s services and/or facilities, you acknowledge and agree that you have read and understood this Notice and agree and consent to the use, processing and transfer of your Personal Data by the Company as described in this Notice. Where you have provided Personal Data relating to your family members, you further confirm that you have obtained the consent of your spouse and/or consent as the parent/legal guardian of your child to the processing of the Personal Data by the Company in accordance with this Notice
For the Malay version, please click here.