Maternity fitting and sizing guide
We fit our garments on mums to be so that we fully understand her needs during pregnancy, making sure the clothes look good and are comfortable.
Check your measurements against our size chart to ensure you are buying the right size.
Remember that we are all different shapes & sizes and sometimes we can sit in the middle of a size. Trying a size above or below can help achieve the most comfortable fit for you.
Our well designed maternity clothes are versatile and often suitable for post-pregnancy.
|Dual size guide||S||M||L||XL|
|Full bust (pre pregnancy)||82||87||92||97||102||107||112|
|Dual sized bust||86 - 91||96 - 101||106 - 113||111 - 116|
|Waist (pre pregnancy)||64.5||69.5||74.5||79.5||84.5||89.5||94.5|
|Bump circumference (early stages - 3rd trimester)||87 - 96||92 - 101||97 - 106||102 - 111||107 - 116||112 - 121||117 - 126|
|Low hip (pre pregnancy)||89||94||99||104||109||114||119|
|Dual sized hip||93 - 98||103 - 108||113 - 118||118 - 123|
|Inside leg (petite)||74|
|Inside leg (standard)||79|
|Inside leg (longer length)||84|
measurement shown are in cm's
How to measure maternity clothing
Bust - measure bust at fullest point
Waist / Bump Circumference - measure waist at fullest point
Low hip - you can find 20cm below your waist
How to measure your maternity bra
Your bra measurement - 2 steps
- You need to establish two measurements the under bust and the cup size. Ideally measurement should be taken over your current bra but without your top on.
- A) under bust you need to take a firm measurement under the bust holding the tape measure in a straight line. Working in inches add 4 to the measurement if it is even and add 5 if it is odd. e.g. you measure 31 inches so add 5 to make it 36 inches.
- B) Over bust / cup size - you need to measure loosely around the fullest part of the cup ensuring the tape measure is level at the front and the back. The difference between measurement A equals the cup size or measurement B. e.g. you measure 40 around the bust (B) so the difference between 36 (or A) is 4 or a D cup. Please see chart below.
- Bra fittings are widely avaliable throughout the high street.
- You should be measured for a nursing bra around 36 - 38 weeks into pregnancy.
|Mothercare bra band size|
|cm||10 - 12||13 - 15||15 - 17||18 - 20||20 - 22||23 - 25||26 - 28||28 - 30|
Trying on and trouble shooting
band too big - band riding up at the back
Go down a band size, but up a cup size. 36D band too big, try 34DD.
band too small - straps parallel and strees on the hook and eye
Go up a band size, but down a cup size. 34D band too small, try 36C.
correct band size
Band should run straight, right around the body. Straps should appear in a "v" shape.
cups too big - fabric sagging and gaping at the cups
Keep the band size the same, but go down a cup size. 36D cups too big, try 36C.
cups too small - breasts not encased in the cups
Keep the band size the same, but go up a cup size. 36D cups are too small, try 36DD.
correct cup size
You should be able to slide two fingers under the band, cup edge, underarm and straps. The front of the bra should sit close to the chest.
|UK & EUR Skirt size / Hip m/ments|
|Size 8-10 (36-38)||Size 12-14 (40-42)||Size 16-18 (44-46)||Size 20+ (48+)|
|Height||88 - 92 cms
(34.5 - 36 inches)
|96 - 101 cms
(38 - 40 inches)
|106 - 111 cms
(42 - 44 inches)
|117 - 123 cms
(46 - 48 inches)
|150 - 160cms
(4ft 11" - 5ft 3")
|163 - 170cms
(5ft 4" - 5ft 7")
|173 - 178cms
(5ft 8" - 5ft 10")
|178 - 183cms
(5ft 10" - 6ft)